[AusNOG] FW: [Ap-ipv6tf] official shutdown date for IPv4. The date he is pushing for is April 4, 2024. "IPv4 can't go on forever, " Latour said. "

Mike Everest mike at duxtel.com
Wed Nov 5 17:32:06 EST 2014

I may be opening a can of worms here, but for a bit of fun…

I like NAT.  It solves a lot more problems that it causes (for me) and it offers a level of flexibility and portability that is a whole lot harder and more complicated (IMO) to solve using IPv6.  Here goes: I reckon IPv6 should also support NAT! :-)

Maybe I’m just showing my age here, and the usual resistance to change that comes with the over 50 set ;) but I am one who is certainly not eager to see IPv4 ‘shut down’ – EVER!

:-D

OK, before I get howled down, sure – I get IPv6, and I agree that it is something good and something needed.  My ideal future world, though (at least while I’m around), will continue to be a dual stacked one :-}

Cheers!

Mike.