[AusNOG] Ethernet + 4G router recommendations

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Wed Nov 5 08:28:18 EST 2014

Im a big fan of the 819G / 1900+EHWIC.

If you are really pressed for cash... you can get one of these:
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/tp-link-tl-mr3020-portable-wireless-n-150mbps-router/3g-support

get a Cisco 800 / 1900 router place ip dhcp on the tp-link set a route for
your lns via tplink use something like l2tp + ppp or ipsec over it then use
bgp / ospf for failover?
Hardly ideal but if your really struggling on cost i guess its an idea...
My pref would always be to pick the first 2 options the 819G and the
1900+EHWIC...

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Jonathan Thorpe <jthorpe at conexim.com.au>
wrote:

> Another +1 for MikroTik – they’re quite awesome for the price,
> performance, capability and reliability. They make a refreshing change from
> the Cisco 8xx series that they replace and are ideally suited for a small
> business environment.
>

> I’ve recently set up a few CRS109 and CRS125s doing 4G, firewalling, VPNs
> (IPSEC and OpenVPN) and QoS for a few personal projects and am amazed at
> what you can do with them.
>

> There was bit of a learning curve for me (using mainly Juniper in my day
> job), but there’s loads of documentation and ways of configuring them (CLI,
> web interface, Windows app). It didn’t take long to pick it up at all.
>

> As noted, the failover (beyond simple gateway/ARP checks) can require some
> scripting, but as Karl mentioned, there are plenty of examples around (and
> clearly a few people around here with some knowledge of them).
>

> In my case, I wanted to periodically ping several hosts via each interface
> and prioritise them based on whether it works or not and then do PBR to
> distribute certain types of traffic via each interface under normal
> conditions. This took some time, but I’m very pleased with the results I
> was able to get out of it.
>

> Kind Regards,
>
> Jonathan

Regards,