[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri May 30 02:25:42 EST 2014

On 29 May 2014, at 20:56, Jake Anderson <yahoo at vapourforge.com> wrote:

> Actually I would disagree with much of what you have said there.

Yep, I know.  That's because you're not a network operator (the "NO" part in "AusNOG"), and probably have very little idea of the history or economics of the provision of internet services in Australia.

> There are 2 separate issues, one is bandwidth, and the other is the multi port NTU.
> I don't see the multi-port NTU as allowing for "new services" that is the domain of bandwidth, anything can be delivered over IP as you suggest.

Really? Because in your previous message in relation to that very issue, you said these things, which are diametrically opposed with your words in the previous sentence above:

>> The issue with achieving these things in practise is with the MTM you are in the same boat you are in now, you are at the mercy of the RSP to provide a level of service for over the top services and you are also dependant on them having enough bandwidth.
>> With FTTP and multi-port NTU's you can guarantee those things for a price.

i.e., you described both bandwidth AND multi-port NTUs as dependancies for services that'll be delivered over the network.

You then went on to use the provision of a parliamentary inquiry videoconferencing service over dedicated NBN NTU ports as an example.

Is it now your position that you don't believe those things you said?

Because they were the things I was addressing.  If you had written different things I might have responded in a different way.  If you wait for a response and then change your position, that's hardly a useful way to have a productive conversation, is it?

>> This is supposed to be a list of network operators, who understand this kind of stuff.  The rah-rah about the NBN lives on Whirlpool, right?
> I would tend to agree, however my "understanding" and yours may well be different.

Well, yes:  You aren't a network operator.  As an end-user, of course you're going to have a different perspective about these things.  You don't have to build them or make money off them;  it's best for you if it's all unlimited and free, right?

So rah-rah as much as you like. We saw how well that worked out back in September.

  - mark