[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu May 29 18:54:29 EST 2014

On 29 May 2014, at 13:26, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:

> Also, the ubiquity aspect include ubiquity of capabilities. If a
> council (say) has to make deployment of a service conditional on
> whether you're on MTM or fibre it would be a logistical headache and
> much harder to justify since that large population of second-class
> NBNers miss out.

The Labor NBN project addressed that by making 12 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up the ubiquitous capability, because the 7% of the Australian population least-served by telecommunications would be on WiMAX or Satellite.

They later changed it to 25 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up because the Libs claimed their loosely-defined pre-election model would be good for 25 Mbps.

So:  Any service delivered against the now-obsolete project the ALP were going to build would have needed to work within a 25 Mbps envelope, otherwise it wouldn't be deliverable ubiquitously:  The people in regional areas who are most in need of remotely deliverable services wouldn't be able to use it.

Corollary:  None of the whizzy new hypothetical world-changing services that justified the existence of the ALP NBN required 100 Mbps.

The Libs still claim their network will be good for at least 25 Mbps, so in theory the available bandwidth for deployment of world-changing services has not been affected by the election result.

Of course, apply skepticism, because I think we all know they won't achieve that promised minimum, eh?

  - mark