[AusNOG] Traffic Accounting & Attribution Project

Scott O'Brien scott at scottyob.com
Thu May 29 17:20:01 EST 2014

Hi All,

A while ago I wanted to see what people were doing for traffic attribution and accounting when simple AAA solutions weren't enough.

Out of those discussions, "Project Herbert" was born.  We're using this project to keep metrics on a trial of quota-free wireless internet (where previously we accounted traffic though the use of proxy servers and the like.)  For these metrics to be useful to us we'd like to know how much of the data consumed was considered "on-net" and how much was "off-net", so simple Radius accounting from our wireless controllers doesn't help us split the octets into these categories.  If other people have solved this requirement another way I'd be keen to hear how.

A "User-Aware" Netflow traffic attribution and accounting project.  You can find the project website here http://uowits.github.io/herbert-gui/ and see a little video on what it does.  Basically it makes use of a swag of open source tools and has a few little scripts to take Netflow, BGP and user-auth messages then updates the appropriate counters.  Hopefully someone else or another university might find this project useful for similar challenges.

Thanks,
Scott O'Brien