[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

jake anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Thu May 29 13:00:29 EST 2014

On 29/05/2014 7:20 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
> On 28 May 2014, at 16:13, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:
>
>> On 28May14, Beeson, Ayden allegedly wrote:
>>> Hey Mark,
>>>
>>> In its current form the MTM based NBN will not include separate RSP ports at all.
>> Ahh crap. I figured that might be the case but I was hoping against
>> hope that some of the other benefits that flowed from the NBN -
>> besides the fibre plant part - would have survived.
> Nothing you described is unachievable at the software layer.
>
> We're moving towards (or in) a world in which every service is delivered over the internet.  There's no need for a complicated NTU with multiple UNI ports, there's only a need for internet access.
>
> Your hypothetical medical monitoring box could have an embedded VPN client which establishes a secure session back to base from its DHCP'ed IP address: Plug it into your home switch and off you go, no end-user configuration required.  Practically speaking, it's the same outcome you'd have if it was connected to a dedicated UNI.
>
> Smart edge, dumb core.
>
> - mark

The issue with achieving these things in practise is with the MTM you
are in the same boat you are in now, you are at the mercy of the RSP to
provide a level of service for over the top services and you are also
dependant on them having enough bandwidth.
With FTTP and multi-port NTU's you can guarantee those things for a price.

Think of it this way, say you have somebody in gosford who needs to give
evidence to a parlamentry inquiry ;->
Assuming that person can't be phyisically present, they try to get that
person to phone in, and generally it sucks, the audio is crap, the lines
are bad, they drop out, get other phone calls etc.
In the multiple port model, parliment could just post the user a
laptop/whatever and a long cable and tell the user to plug it into port
2 on their NTD, They could provision ultra HD webconference software on
the laptop and know that everything is going to just work.
The govt would be an RSP, and just buy one month of port access on the
NTD, and backhaul from some commercial provider.
This would save senate many many hours of lost time ($$) due to crappy
telecommunications, and many squillions of dollars in shipping people
around the country.

Now I've used govt as the customer here, but I'm sure you guys can all
see the same thing applying to your customers, can you *depend* on any
given customer having a good enough internet connection to do any
paticular thing or it it a whole bunch of screwing around to try and
make sure, and then work around the fact they are on $budgetRSP that
goes to crap at 4:00 when the school kids get home?

I don't see *that* much use for the additional ports for "networking" I
do however see them as being usefull for services that need guarantees.
I also feel that *generally* there would be no need to bridge the
connections, if the customer is getting 2 IP addresses odds are they are
to be used for different things. Basically it'd replace VPN's for the
"work laptop".
You set up an AP (if you want wifi), and a laptop give it to the
customer and tell them to plug it into port 2 and your support costs for
work from home staff would plummet.

That said, given there is now no guarantee of bandwidth on the MTM
(NBNco CEO will not guarantee transfer and doesn't know what line rate
is) theres not really any point offering multi port NTU's as you can't
guarantee bandwidth, you are back to a best effort and hours of he-said
she-said blame games when marketing's work from home is crap every
afternoon (or if it rains).