[AusNOG] Hunting for a talented DevOps Engineer

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:26:10 EST 2014

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a talented DevOps engineer to join a project team
working in a large carrier in Melbourne. We're about to commence a
mid-sized environment build-out and specifically need someone strongly
versed in platform build and automation.

We operate as a fairly true-to-form DevOps model where the guys cutting
code are the guys who are running the platform. Anyone in the team
should be able to perform any task in the environment... The person
we're looking for is something like this;

/* Possesses the following core attributes */

- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Ability to code and script
- Experience with systems and IT operations
- Comfort with with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Strong grasp of automation tools
- Data management skills
- A strong focus on business outcomes
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across
functional borders

/* Required skills */

- Systems administration experience in a medium-large sized Linux
environment.
- Commercial web site operations experience on a LAMP type stack
(Linux/Apache/MySQL or similar/Ruby, Perl, PHP, Java or similar).
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code solutions such as Puppet, Chef
or similar.
- Thorough understanding and experience in the principles, procedures
and practices regarding provisioning technologies, system redundancy,
backup and recovery, monitoring and performance measurement.
- Technical understanding and experience of highly available solutions
including webservers behind a load balancer, database replication.
- A broad understanding of the Internet in general and the technologies
that support it; from both a hardware and software perspective.
- Understanding of the execution flow of functional, procedural and
object orientated languages.

/* Desired skills */

- Experience with VMWare, Xen, KVM or similar is desirable.
- Experience with continuous integration tooling like Jenkins is desirable.
- Basic expertise in Ruby and Ruby on Rails is desirable.
- Experience working in Agile teams desirable.
- Ideally you will possess technical understanding of caching solutions
such as Squid & Varnish and content delivery networks such as Akamai,
Cloudfront or similar and when they are appropriate to leverage

If you're looking for a gig or know someone who is looking for a gig
please get in touch with me off-list. We're looking for immediate
interviews with a view to starting ASAP. Happy to have a chat off-line
and provide more details.

Cheers,

PGP/GNUPG Public Key: http://d3vnu11.com/pub.key