[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Mon May 26 17:46:49 EST 2014

I don't think there is any way that it could be considered 'illegal' as
such.. as there isn't an actual law against it... especially if we're
actually paying for it.

My opinion is that the geo-restrictions are their own invention, like DVD
regions, and is simply their way of trying to control and monetize the
content at higher costs to different markets.

I don't feel any ethical or moral issues in paying for a service out of the
US and using an unblock-us kind of service to get to it.  If you wanted to
get really into it... we ARE in the US as far as they are concerned... our
data leaves their network and enters ours - in the US... because we take it
elsewhere after that is no ones business.

All these issues are simply to try to protect revenue streams of a nature
which are dying and they are trying to hang on as long as possible.
 Foxtel, like the free-to-air channels are a decaying model who need to
grasp the globalisation reality - which I am sure they do, but the longer
they can delay it the more truckloads of cash they can keep making.

This is interesting:
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/blog/gadgets-on-the-go/are-regionfree-dvd-players-legal-20120208-1qs42.html

"*....the Attorney-General’s department confirmed that region-free DVD and
Blu-ray players are exempt from the Technological Protection Measures
(TPMs) included in the US Free Trade Agreement. According to a copyright
fact sheet issued by the Attorney-General’s department
<http://www.ag.gov.au/Documents/Copyright%20Fact%20Sheet%20-%20Technological%20Protection%20Measures%20liability%20scheme.pdf>*
*;*"

So, why shouldn't streaming from another location be considered the same
thing.  Remember, this isn't theft, the content owner is getting paid.

Well that is my thought anyhow.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering