[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Geordie Guy elomis at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:30:30 EST 2014

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  The problem with this though is it is still technically illegal is it
>> not? The rights are not for distribution in AU so you are kind of breaking
>> copyright just as much as a torrent?
>>

>  1) Infringing copyright is not a criminal offence in Australia unless it
> meets various secondary criteria.  Commercial scale, public display,
> advertising and infringing work, circumvent technology protection measure
> etc.
>

> Can you link to the relevant laws about this? Genuinely curious to know
> the specific secondary criteria and their definitions.

Offenses are set out in section 132 of the Copyright Act at
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ca1968133/

You're looking for "Subdivision C, Infringing Copies", "Subdivision D,
Airing of works, sound recordings and films" and "Subdivision E -
Technological protection measures", and "Subdivision F - Electronics rights
management information"

Basically making money off infringement, public performance of infringing
work and breaking the padlock on DRM or protection measures (circumventing
geoblocks doesn't count), is where the cops knock on your door.