[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Damian Guppy the.damo at gmail.com
Mon May 26 11:32:20 EST 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> I am not sure why they don't consider Netflix as a competitor... I guess
> it is all a matter of perspective.

FetchTV is a replacement of the 'cable company' business model - they
compete with Foxtel to deliver you TV channels etc
Netflix is a replacement of the 'video rental' business model - they
compete with VideoEzy/Blockbuster etc to deliver you a large library of
content to watch on demand.

Additionally FetchTV is normally delivered as a box that plugs into your
TV, Netflix is normally delivered as a app/service that you install on
something. Fetch is saying they want their box to be one of thoes
somethings. In the US netflix has started to partner with cable companies
to install Netflix on your traditional cable box.

--Damian