[AusNOG] network security Question

Tim March march.tim at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:47:44 EST 2014

This is a reasonable approach.

I normally do something like this...

--- BEGIN PASTE ---
 remark --- deny unroutable networks ---
 deny   ip 0.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 169.254.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
 deny   ip 192.0.2.0 0.0.0.255 any
 deny   ip 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 240.0.0.0 7.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 248.0.0.0 7.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip host 255.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any
 deny   ip 172.16.0.0 0.15.255.255 any
 deny   ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
 remark --- permit link control and utility traffic ---
 permit icmp any any echo
 permit icmp any any echo-reply
 permit icmp any any host-unknown
 permit icmp any any time-exceeded
 permit icmp any any traceroute
 permit icmp any any unreachable
 permit tcp any any established
--- END PATE ---

IMO arbitrarily filtering all ICMP serves more to give legitimate actors
the sh!ts than it does preventing actions from malicious ones. Anyone
port-scanning or mapping your network is probably doing it with SYN
anyway, so it's largely pointless.

With regards to arbitrarily blocking whole country netblocks; sure, some
people do it. Having your IDS/IPS temporarily block trouble addresses is
probably a better solution if you want to go down that path, though.

2c

T.