[AusNOG] Rack security monitoring solutions

Tim Sheahan sheahant at mytelecom.com.au
Mon May 19 14:38:43 EST 2014

Perhaps worth considering -
If you twist this around a little then you have a setup like NextDC, whose facilities I've found quite impressive:

* HID -style access cards with readers and lock actuators on each rack door
* access-request card scans authenticated by an auth server e.g RADIUS
* video coverage of entry,  halls and rack aisles completes the picture (so to speak)

Notification then becomes authentication, and accountability becomes as tight as your user management and video monitoring can make it.

- Tim

I am looking for solutions to monitor physical access to racks in a shared DC.

I need to be alerted when the racks are accessed (ie doors opened) and ideally record an image of the person accessing the rack. Environmental monitoring would also be a bonus.

So far I have googled the APC NetBotz http://tinyurl.com/dxnugf equipment which looks OK.

I would welcome any comments on this this gear and any known alternatives.

Thanks

Kevin