[AusNOG] Average Usage Per Service

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon May 12 20:40:20 EST 2014

On May 11, 2014, at 11:36 PM, Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Just doing some math and capacity planning and I am wondering what others use for numbers for the average usage of a service per user?

Isn’t that going to be dependent on the quota attached to the service, rather than the link bandwidth?

Users typically chew through about half of their quota.  Convert Gbytes per month to Mbits per second and you’ll have your answer.

If you have enough users, you don’t need to provision much margin for burst: the curves on the graphs are pretty smooth.

  - mark