[AusNOG] Average Usage Per Service

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sun May 11 23:36:16 EST 2014

Hey all,

Just doing some math and capacity planning and I am wondering what others
use for numbers for the average usage of a service per user?

I am working with NBN-like speeds of 12mb, 25, 50 and 100.

Back in the day I used to factor it in at around 30% when we were doing
dialup and low-speed DSL... and on ADSL2 I normally factored it at around
15%.

But I am wondering what people use for NBN-like speeds.  I am thinking that
a percentage is probably not a realistic measurement anymore as there is no
particular reason a 25, 50 or 100mb user would do more or less on
average... they just have the capacity to do more.

Does anyone else have any thoughts they are willing to share, or even real
observations across a significant number (thousands) of customers that they
use for bandwidth (agvc and/or transit) planning?

Feel free to off-list if you want to keep the information anonymous... I am
happy to publish some findings and a spreadsheet for the use of others.

Thanks all.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering