[AusNOG] Load Testing Tools?

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Fri May 9 14:47:48 EST 2014

Apache jmeter is immensely useful. It can be used to throw load at
HTTP/HTTPS and a lot of protocols over top of that (SOAP/XML, JDBC, AJP
etc) as well as do generic TCP connects (with auth and custom data), SMTP,
LDAP queries, POP3, IMAP ... and probably more which I've never used. Can
function distributed also, e.g. tests distributed from one client to
multiple jmeter servers.

It can't do UDP natively, but it would be fairly trivial to front RADIUS
auth with a HTTP interface that jmeter can talk to. e.g. Basic auth against
a bunch of servers with Apache/mod_auth_radius.

I've used iperf/jperf for generic TCP/UDP data to test QoS etc. Could
almost certainly be pushed to 10G with enough CPU or multiple hosts.

http://iperf.sourceforge.net/

http://jmeter.apache.org/

-Colin