[AusNOG] Older Juniper J series routers - time bomb

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Sat Mar 29 16:49:49 EST 2014

Some info from Juniper:

---

*FAQs:*

*Q: What is the nature of this issue?*

Junos software licenses are required to enable certain Junos software
features. When a license expires, the features that are licensed on a
device that is running an impacted version of Junos will cease to operate.

*Q: What should a customer do if they believe they have been, or might be,
impacted by this issue?*

Customers should contact JTAC or their Juniper Service Engineer, following
standard processes. Fixes for the issue are available, and the JTAC team
can assist in proactive remediation, as well.

*Q: What are the symptoms of this issue? How will a customer know if they
are impacted by it?*

There are a wide variety of symptoms. The indicator of this issue is an
"expired certificate" message in the syslog. Diagnostic details are found
in the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB16366).

*Q: Does this issue impact all versions of Junos?*

This primarily impacts Junos 9.6 and older where the licensed feature will
stop working. For Junos 10.0 - 11.4, any new or renewed licenses (after
24/March/2014) will require the installation of a certificate on the
device. Junos 12.1 and above are NOT impacted.

*Q: Has JTAC identified a fix?*

JTAC has identified fixes for each impacted version of Junos and has
released TSB16366.

*Q: Has this issue been resolved for future releases of Junos?*

Yes. Junos 12.1 and higher are not impacted. Any new 11.4 releases will
have the relevant certificate added as part of the Junos image.

---