[AusNOG] MMF fiber OM3 cabling versus OM1 patch leads

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Thu Mar 27 16:31:32 EST 2014

Your OM1 patch leads have a 62.5 micron core, connected to an OM3 50
micron core.  So you are probably seeing a small amount of loss - but
perhaps it's so small it's negligable. In particular I suppose the
transmit side being smaller than the receive side, is likely to be
'doable' with minimal losses.

I would certainly ensure you have the same type of fibre end-to-end to
ensure reliable service; do it as part of a planned outage now, before
it becomes an unplanned outage later when someone 'nudges' a cable and
ruins things ... !

Mark.