[AusNOG] 3rd Party SFP+ Optics

Christopher Mclean cjm at ausoptic.com
Thu Mar 27 10:39:43 EST 2014

Hi All,

I am a vendor of modules but I am going to just give info and not try to sell as there is a little bit of information about 3rd party and vendor supplied SFP's that is generally missed in conversations.

There are certain switches from HP, Juniper and Cisco (maybe some others) that cannot use standard off the shelf modules. There is a hardware change required to make them operate (particularly with DDM/DOM). A word of advice when buying modules is to ALWAYS specify the switch they will go into to avoid them failing when you receive them.

Best regards,
Chris McLean
Senior Sales Engineer
Ausoptic International