[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

Steve Smalley SSmalley at trimblenetworks.com.au
Tue Mar 4 22:37:16 EST 2014

Back when I was learning the ropes I recall being told something similar... 100m limit for cat5 (I don't think c5e was around at the time).  And due to this I tend to stick to it but can't for the sake of me remember exactly who what where when or why.

However when there are considerable distances I try to budget for either a fibre run or a radio/microwave link or similar.  These bring into other considerations again (which you've no doubt read throughout this forum in the past) but that is my (simplistic) rule of thumb.
As far as temperature goes, well....  most of the longer cat5e/6 runs I've done have been from one aircon'd server room/cabinet through an underground pit to another aircon room (further to this most of my work has been in SE QLD & Northern NSW...  Nth Qld is a different kettle of fish again).  But I would expect the temperature difference to be somewhat negligible in those cases...  but if they're doing a cat 5e/6 run over that distance they must be made aware there will be some sort of loss regardless of temperature and that's yet another variable that needs to be considered.  as per always there are ifs and buts you need to consider

Kind Regards,

Steve Smalley
IT Systems Engineer
TRIMBLE NETWORKS PTY LTD
PO Box 3195, NEWSTEAD QLD 4006
2/48 Eagleview Place, Eagle Farm QLD 4009
p: (07) 3852 4498 | f: (07) 3852 4829
w: www.trimblenetworks.com.au
e: SSmalley at trimblenetworks.com.au

This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Trimble Networks.