[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

Shane ONeill shaneoneill at netdotdotnet.net
Tue Mar 4 22:18:20 EST 2014

The  temperature coefficient of copper at 20c approx 0.0003 so if your impedance is 100ohms this would rise to 106ohm at 40c therefore given standard Ethernet uses 2.5v your maximum theoretical length would reduce as temperature increases. The CAT 5 standard however caters for temperature range of something like -55c to +60c whilst all else remains consistent including certified length.

So in theory there would be an effect, in practice the range should be covered by the standard just make sure you are not trying to pump 10gb/s over cat6 copper at 90meters in 60c and you should be ok!

Regards
Shane