[AusNOG] TPG EFM - low MTU

Andrew Jones aj at jonesy.com.au
Mon Jun 23 16:07:49 EST 2014

You're right, the PPP headers are still there, but not all 8 bytes of
the PPPoE overhead.
The 40 bytes includes 4 bytes of PPP headers, so a 1540 byte MTU should
be able to carry a PPPoL2TP service with an IP MTU of 1500 bytes.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/virtual-private-dialup-network-vpdn/24320-l2tp-mtu-tuning.html