[AusNOG] Mixing tech stuff

Gavin Rogers grogers at rog-tech.net
Thu Jun 19 16:23:17 EST 2014

On 19/06/2014 8:44 AM, Andrew Ehrhardt wrote:
> The idea of running fibre when conducting other works was tried by Western Power for a while. I believe it was part of the move to underground power distribution in older areas.

Great idea. Bad timing. Just as they were starting the project the whole
dot com bubble burst and Western Power lost interest. (As a state
government owned monopoly they may not have been keen/may not have been
able to service in the ISP space, but that's my idle speculation)

Now why don't major construction, road, railway, power and utilities
earthworks don't have a mandatory "must provide NBN Co access while you
have the everything dug up" provision? Surely it would save a lot of
money and duplication of effort in the build?

Gavin.