[AusNOG] Mixing tech stuff

Jarryd Sullivan Jarryd.Sullivan at area9.com.au
Thu Jun 19 10:03:50 EST 2014

I have also read about the Solar Freaking Roadways and watched the video, seems like a very innovative idea. I am sure there are a lot roads worse off than where I live, however some of our roads up here in the NT are horrible. They're currently doing large scale road works to fix some of our major roads. Replacing them with much tougher materials that meet requirements for vehicles to drive on and also providing a clean energy source... it's a win-win situation in my opinion. Although we don't have deer here like they show in the video, where a deer walks onto the road and then a car may be alerted to something on the road ahead by LED lighting seems like a great idea too. Imagine all those cows that walk on the Stuart Highway from NT to SA.

One concern up in the NT is Power and Water Corp tend to be very funny about solar innovation. Since they're the only power supplier in the NT to non-commercial users one would think they'd want to prevent people from using cheaper energy to keep their revenue higher.

And to make this a little more on-list-topic rolling out a fibre network at the same time would be brilliant! :) Still waiting after 4 months for my internal install of the NBN service though, not sure it'd fix the delays of in-premises installations.

Heck, maybe we should even be building some sort of new innovative technology that integrates the roads and "Internet" in one. Neural pathways inside each panel which allow data to traverse from panel to panel until it reaches its destination? Internet of the future. Have I been watching too much Star Trek?

Jarryd Sullivan