[AusNOG] centos.org

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jun 19 08:41:40 EST 2014

On 19/06/2014 01:33, Julien Goodwin wrote:

>>> You're still using CentOS? Seriously? 2008, if I recall correctly,
>>> the
>>> problems started. By 2011 it was effectively a dead distro.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I only run linux from scratch
>>
>> I use to run debian but that's a dead distro now too
>
> You think *you're* running a dead disto.
>
> Try Red Hat 7.1 (no, not RHEL, oldschool Red Hat).
>
> In 2012.

Hey don't knock it!
Although I'm a slackware'r, I've also run RH in the early days as well
on my desktop, and RH 7.x series (the last before that abomination
called fedora was intro'd) was damn well unbreakable, I don't care what
you could have thrown at it, you couldn't get it to miss a beat, that's
how I'm so mystified at how they fscked things so badly with FC1
onwards, happy with opensuse on my desktop now though (only coz I love
gnome, and although there's been movement at the station for slackware
to bring it back, word is, it wont be any time in the immediate future)