[AusNOG] Mikrotik routers and "VLAN trunking over WAN"

Andrew Cox andrew.cox at bigair.net.au
Wed Jun 18 14:06:44 EST 2014

My 2c

On MikroTik gear the optimal ways to do this sort of load balancing (with
reference to Ross's situation) are:
a) src based static routing (send VoIP vlan/ip-range via Link1, send Office
PC vlan/ip-range via Link2)
b) PCC based load-balancing (for 1 new connection-pair [based on src & dst
ip] send this out connection 1, next out 2, next out 1, next out 2)

There's older methods and more complex ways of going about it but these are
the 2 *best ways about it.

The PCC is best for balancing out over equal speed links and sharing
available bandwidth.

The src based is good for controlling the bandwidth and performance of a
given service type/group by explicitly defining what is allowed to go out
where (IE: voip should go out this 512k/512k L2 service by default and fail
over to a VPN path out the ADSL service)

Based on what you've asked Ross, I don't see any reason this would be a
problem provided properly resourced devices are spec'd.

Lastly: it's worth noting that this is all "Load-balancing" vs
"Aggregation".
Aggregating services would normally require an additional central point to
spit out the service at the other end, back out to your Layer3 link.

*IMO

Cheers,
Andrew