[AusNOG] Cisco ASR 1K as a low-end LNS

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Mon Jun 16 06:58:33 EST 2014

One last but important detail with using the ASR1K as a BNG is that load balancing on 1G port groups doing PPPoE and L2TP does not work. I spent three frustrating months working with TAC to be informed eventually that actually that is a feature that is working as designed. So if you only want n+1 redundancy you can use a port group, but load balancing you are out of luck. Load balancing on non PPPoE/L2TP port groups works fine. For me that meant moving to 10G interfaces earlier than anticipated.

cheers