[AusNOG] [OT] Travel Connectivity Advice / information gathering / tours?

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Sat Jun 14 21:48:00 EST 2014

Hi All

Sorry for the slightly off topic post here. (Hoping to use this to gain more information and pick up learning - and assisting me to get connected on the side - so I would hope to be within charter even if a little off topic)

I am going to be in Australia this coming week (15-20 June Sydney) and again in July (26th July - 2nd August) and while it is a holiday (and exploring the local industry) last years trip shows me that I will get calls for faults throughout the week.

In the past I have just landed at Sydney Airport and come out from customs and go to the Vodafone counter to get a data sim for my iPad (I use Vodafone personally at home).

My iPad however doesn’t allow for tethering and I am considering trying to get a MiFi style device for use throughout the week and keep the device to re use later on so I can access internet wherever on my laptop etc.

What I need is advice on whose setup provides for VPN Access, SSH, Telnet etc.

I am also the sort of geek who loves to always explore and learn. Is there anyone who would be willing to show me around their sites and a talk about systems and choices. I have a chance at the moment to take an approach with a rebuild of the management network, routing systems, and V6 deployment so I get the closest to a clean state and would love to pick up any tips people have.

I also would be interested in talking to people from some of the hardware suppliers, we are looking at hardware for our systems and I would take advantage of time to get some information about systems that I wouldn’t be able to explore over in New Zealand. We currently have Cisco, Juniper, Mikrotik hardware in the system now but no absolute restrictions on hardware to discover.

Any of this advice may be preferred off list as if I am already pushing the rules about topic and I don’t want to push things further as I value everything I have picked up off the list and have been able to take advantage of the brain trust here and at AusNOG last year. Any other things that people think I should look at or talk to I would love to try make it work.

Thank you for your time, beer ;-)

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson