[AusNOG] So, who is joining iiNet?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Jun 12 12:16:44 EST 2014

On 12/06/2014 11:45 AM, Jake Anderson wrote:
> Who is the "internet lobbyist company" in Australia?

Well, it _was_ the IIA - Internet Industry Association (http://iia.net.au/). But the
'industry' let that collapse a few months ago by not backing it with sufficient
membership and cash.
(https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/541198/financial_woes_cause_shut_down_internet_industry_association_/).

Now it might be Communications Alliance
(http://www.commsalliance.com.au/about-us/newsroom/2014-5).

The Internet Society (ISOC-AU - www.isoc-au.org.au) is also active in lobbying
government in this area and would appreciate support, although ISOC-AU approaches from
the point of view of _users_ of the Internet, rather than lobbying on behalf of ISPs
and providers (disclaimer - I'm a board member of ISOC-AU). In this case I'd say the
interests of industry and end-users are fairly well aligned.

Pick your body, and happily pay some membership fees to support the lobbying.

P.