[AusNOG] So are iiNet condoning illegal piracy?

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 12:05:14 EST 2014

You say that ISPs are carriers are not liable for the behaviour of their
clients, yet it's iiNet who got taken to court and had to defend themselves
over what their clients were doing.

By opposing onerous, stupid, short-sighted and grossly unevenly-biased
systems with high implementation and administration costs which will need
to be paid for by their shareholders, iiNet are doing exactly what you
believe they should be doing - as well as making a stand against a piece of
legislation that they believe is flawed and ultimately doomed to failure.

Perhaps rather than suing ISPs for the activities of their customers,
groups like APRA and the MPAA etc could work out content distribution
models that suit their customers, and not their own outdated ideas on how
people should consume content.

Then the government would be freed up from wasting its time trying to
create pointless, toothless legislation to curb behaviour they don't
themselves understand (I nearly sprayed my coffee out my nose this morning
when reading a quote from Brandis about closing access to websites used to
share copyrighted materials - it's as bad as the website blacklist to stop
child porn that was universally condemned - it will be totally and utterly
ineffective, and its only achievement will be to increase the cost of
operation for ISPs and carriers, and thus increase the bills for their
customers).

And hell, if you disagree with what iINet are doing, either don't do what
they ask, or if you're a shareholder, feel free to object to the path
they're taking at their next shareholder meeting.