[AusNOG] AAPT / TPG Merge NWB

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Thu Jun 5 18:15:48 EST 2014

On 06/05/2014 05:45 PM, Jake Anderson wrote:
> On 05/06/14 08:00, Curtis Bayne wrote:
>
>> Regardless of any theological thought experiment, the pragmatic
>> reality is that the only thing that has delivered reasonable outcomes
>> to consumers in Australia is infrastructure competition.
>>
> Yes, because there is so much choice over just whose copper network
> you are going to connect your dslam to, what with all the
> infrastructure competition out there.

There seems to be an assumption there that consumers using the copper
network have a reasonable outcome.  I certainly wouldn't agree with that
assumption.  The unreliability of the copper network is the bane of my
existence at the moment, and the outcome of a previous thread on the
topic (http://lists.ausnog.net/pipermail/ausnog/2014-March/023161.html)
was basically that if we're on copper, we're stuck with whatever outcome
(reasonable or not) that Telstra deigns to bless us with. Last mile
infrastructure competition would be a huge bonus for Australian consumers.

Paul