[AusNOG] Transparent Caching For Residential ISPs

Alastair Waddell awaddell at legion.com.au
Wed Jun 4 23:02:28 EST 2014

I see that Netflix is responsible for 30% of traffic in the US. Netflix and YouTube together are responsible for > 50%
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/netflix-youtube-dominate-us-internet-traffic

But I also hear that Netflix does not allow ISPs to cache, if indeed it’s technically possible.

Netflix require you to use Open Connect https://www.netflix.com/openconnect - if you qualify.

On another note, for those pulling content via peer routes to CDNs etc, will ISPs stop offering peered content for free and begin differentiated billing with something more representative of the cost of getting that content across the NBN to the customer?

Regards,
Alastair

On 4 Jun 2014, at 9:37 pm, Mark Currie <MCurrie at laserfast.com.au> wrote:

> Have a look at Superlumin Networks Nemesis (cool name!)..it will cache streaming content, including Youtube, Netflix etc..Not much presence in Australia at the moment, but a few schools and a couple of Uni’s (including University of Western Australia) use it and generally are getting around 40% hit rates..
>
> It uses a specialized Cache Object Store (COS) file system originally developed to run on Netware for Novell by Drew Major, but now totally rewritten as a native 64bit platform integrated on Suse Linux and extreme scalability (64 bit, 64 CPU, 16Tb Memory, 64 disk channels, 100 million cache objects)
>
> Mark Currie

Regards,
--
Alastair Waddell