[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching and HP COMOS5 vs 7

Jiri Kosar jkosar at asi.com.au
Tue Jun 3 17:05:18 EST 2014

Hi All,

from Brocade if you want high-density 10G, I can recommend VDX as well (we do use internally VDX6740) and it has 40G ports too, some nice virtualization/hypervisor and ethernet fabric features, active-active links between fabric members and you can grow-up or scale-down as you like, but it is also worthwhile to mention ICX7750 or ICX6650 as they have 10G or/and 40G ports as well and some IPv6 routing features which are due to be introduced to VDX platform in next few months.

To the list you mentioned, I’d like to also add Arista Networks. It does 10G, 40G and it is ultra-low latency. Additionally, If you have a linux background, you would love EOS operating system (firmware). You can go to linux shell directly from cli on a switch, install RPM packages, do python scripting and you have still your 10G performance and 380ns/less latency between ports. I do have 7124sx at the office and to demonstrate switch flexibility, I have managed to run Windows 8 on a switch using KVM hypervisor ☺))

There is a lots of features what I can talk about, but you can find it on a manufacturer website and I have just mentioned what I thought could be relevant.

Jiri