[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 1 10:26:36 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

The easy part is delivering the separate services to separate ports on an NTU.

It is also easy if the residential user is going to physically plug a single device into the dedicated NTU port, and you actively prohibit anything else from working e.g., locking down ports to a single MAC address. Switching between two ISPs would fall into this category as long as the customer doesn't expect or try to be connected to both at once.

The hard part is integrating it into the customer's existing residential network, and that is likely what customers are going to expect to be able to do.

Multicast Fetch TV to the home is relatively easy to deliver to the home because as people have guessed, it is delivered over another ASDL PVC, and the multicast stream is unidirectional from ISP to customer.

The hard part is BYO CPE support of multicast and multicast's failure to perform well over people's existing Wifi networks, necessitating either Ethernet over Power or dedicated cabling, and the CPE configuration complexity of creating another non-Wifi LAN segment - which is beyond the ability of most residential users.

When it comes to a problem, the easy parts are easy, the hard parts are hard, and all problems are easy if you ignore the hard parts.