[AusNOG] Globally Routed IPv6 and Windows Firewall

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Fri Jul 25 16:51:08 EST 2014

On 25 Jul 2014, at 13:46, Craig Askings <craig at askings.com.au> wrote:
> Almost every home ipv6 cpe I’ve dealt with has some form of inbound filtering in place by default.

All the NetComm routers I’ve tested in the past two years apart from the latest firmware on the most recent one (NF4V) either had no IPv6 firewall enabled by default, or no IPv6 firewall capability whatsoever.

One unit I have on my desk at work (NB16WV-02) always listens on port 80 on its IPv6 LAN address with no way to firewall it from the WAN.  I reported the exact same issue for another of their routers (NP805n) two years ago and they did exactly nothing about it.

The NF4V by default is IPv6 firewalled, but has the world’s worst interface should you wish to modify the behaviour (including no ability to insert a rule — it is only capable of appending rules at the end).