[AusNOG] NOC Phone System - AWS?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Tue Jul 22 13:44:23 EST 2014

Hey Nathan (and others),

I guess something that maybe people don't understand (by the half dozen
emails I got off-list) is what Direct Connect is.

The ISP I am building at the moment will have its servers entirely hosted
in AWS... web, dns, dhcp, radius, monitoring, mail, tr69, etc etc... but,
it will NOT be using internet via AWS.  The servers will internally have
real live public APNIC IP addresses, with a Direct Connect established to
our network core.  Think of it as a blue cable into our own EC2 instance
for compute power.

So, connectivity will come via the physical network core with normal
transit providers, peering, etc... with connectivity to AWS via a gig
link... essentially Private Cloud I think the more appropriate definition
in this case.

Once this is up and running, I will be spinning up some instances of
Brocade, Cisco (CSR 1000v) and other people AWS Instances to see how well
they perform over the Direct Connect.

The only issue I see at the moment is the charges getting data out of the
VPC instance...

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering