[AusNOG] No Data Retention for ISPs - for now

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Mon Jul 14 09:01:23 EST 2014

Thing is... I can't help feeling that any government attempt for data
retention could be challenged in the courts.

The stupid thing is, they are only proposing a record of the communication,
not the communication itself - as another example used, it is keeping a
copy of the letters envelope, but not what is inside... how useless in
proving anything.

Should the legislation ever actually come in, the requirements for ISPs to
suddenly keep this information would be extremely cost intensive, which is
a basis for a challenge in itself.

If the government was going to succeed doing this, they will need a much
longer term approach.  If I was them I would introduce ISP licensing, and
get everyone to move to it over a few years, then introduce requirements
over time.

Problem for us is that they (the Government) come from a position of
strength in that it is easy for them to justify what they want to do by
using the badness on the internet as their argument "We need to license
ISPs so that child molesters are stopped and business practices are
maintained' using examples of the ISPs who have failed and so on.  Many
countries do license ISPs as well... So they have the ammunition... and all
we have is a privacy and freedom argument.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 8:03 AM, James Braunegg <james.braunegg at micron21.com