[AusNOG] "The NBN" will run on copper for *ever*

PRK ausnog at digitaljunkie.net
Fri Jul 11 20:20:03 EST 2014

On 2014-07-11 17:37, jake anderson wrote:

> I always wondered why they never offered VDSL for customers closer
> than 800m or so.
> I mean it wouldn't cost them a *great* deal to add a few vdsl
> linecards to the mix.

Some assumptions made in the above comment are:

1) The DSLAM equipment supports different line cards.
2) There's an "optimum" balance of VDSL vs ADSL vs SHDSL line cards to
pre-populate a particular site with (the ISP doesn't want to be
returning each week / month).
3) The ISP can wire someone to an appropriate port either during
provisioning, or via some sort of active switching in the DSLAM (upgrade
from ADSL to VDSL).

You'd think they'd all play out, but surprisingly not.

There are challenges, particularly if an ISP has started deploying
DSLAMs with ADSL2/2+ line cards, and then the vendor comes along with a
VDSL line card which doesn't fit in the same chassis.

At that stage, the ISP needs to deploy new chassis (some ADSL, some VDSL
chassis in each exchange), or the ISP takes a look at their customer
profile and goes "bugger it, there's not enough density to make a
dedicated VDSL chassis worthwhile, so we're better off using the
exchange space for ADSL DSLAMs".

If the ISP's vendor uses a significantly different platform for VDSL,
the ISP then needs to decide if it wants to operate and support multiple
platforms, and work out how to deal with feature parity.

There are also the various VDSL cross talk issues - last time I looked
(many years ago) it wasn't approved for use on the Telstra CAN, but that
may well have changed.

But basically, it's not always as easy as just "add a few vdsl line
cards to the mix" :)

prk.