[AusNOG] WIFI/Internet on Planes

Geordie Guy elomis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:30:30 EST 2014

As best I understand it, it's unlikely to be CASA.  A whiles back on
Twitter I asked Qantas why they were continuing to have a whole bunch of
rules and regulations around electronic devices on planes when there was a
complete lack of evidence that there was any safety risk.  They replied
they were bound to abide by CASA's rules.  CASA saw this exchange and
inserted themselves into the conversation, saying that the rules they
create and apply are quite broad and require the airlines to do (for
example) "reasonable steps to ensure safety", there are no CASA rules
around iPads.  CASA then went on to publicly insist the whole framework
around "turn your Kindle off, you'll crash the plane" is the airlines'
interpretation of their quite broad rules and nothing to do with CASA.  My
conclusion was that 802.11 on an aeroplane was therefore banned until
Qantas could figure out how to monetise it.