[AusNOG] WIFI/Internet on Planes

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Tue Jul 8 11:24:37 EST 2014

I used Internet on Delta in the US as many as four years ago.

Mostly to determine the layout of LAX while in the air so I could re-check
what terminal we'd be landing at so that I could get to another as quickly
as possible.

Worked really well.I didn't speed test and can't recall latency from a
quick ping test, but it wasn't horrendous and I can recall being able to
watch a bit of Youtube etc.

I met an electrical engineer working for Boeing recently. He claimed the
pilots can see interference on various instruments from electrical
devices/transmitters inside the plane, and it can be annoying particularly
on landing, but "if they've got enough experience they'll be able to deal
with it".

However, he didn't specifically know what frequencies might cause that.

Sent from a mobile device. Correct spelling and accurate use of grammar is
unlikely to have occurred.