[AusNOG] Should we be a LIR for our customers and get them PI (Was: another ipv6 Q)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jul 4 22:47:37 EST 2014

Hi Jeroen,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Do note that anybody who is going to announce that prefix in a useful
> manner also needs to have proper routing equipment to handle a full BGP
> feed. The cost of that kind of equipment, the transit payments and the
> engineers that do that will add up to a LOT more than $1200 PA :)

Obviously you haven't seen what people do with cheap Mikrotiks :P

More seriously, is wanting a different routing policy an acceptable reason
for a second allocation? I can imagine ISPs might want to advertise
seperate ranges in different states, do they then need multiple /32s?

Even I split my IPv4 /22 into two /23s so I can advertise them out
different links (broadly - school owned device to AARNet, non-school owned
to commodity transit). Can I ask APNIC for another PI /48 to achieve this?
Their policies are unclear.

https://www.apnic.net/publications/media-library/documents/resource-guidelines/ipv6-guidelines
seems to be the main one, and is somewhat contradictory. 6.2 says for
operational, geographic or regulatory reasons your network can be
considered as multiple discrete networks. So that covers the ISP case. My
site is multihomed, so I qualify under 9.1.1. However the end of section 2
says "Only one IPv6 address block is to be assigned to an organization
upon an initial request; subnets of this block may be assigned by the
organization to its different sites if needed." But you claim (in contrast
to Mark) that a /56 advertisement is verboten, which conflicts with that.

9.2 then does say discrete netwoks qualify, so if I can demonstrate the
need APNIC should give me another /48 even though I could just as easily
split my original /48. In the end there's no real difference to me, so is
the only gain that network operators have to fill out a bit more paperwork
to justify their operational reasons for extra prefixes to advertise for
traffic engineering? Seems a bit like overkill IMHO, and anyone who's
going to the effort of traffic engineering isn't going to be put off by a
little paperwork.

James