[AusNOG] IPv6 Homenet (Re: another ipv6 Q)

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 17:00:31 EST 2014

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 15:59:20 +1000, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

Thanks for confirmation on how I thought IPv6 and having to renumber on
change of PA space would work out.

>> The alternative could be the customer
>> approaches the LIR and gains a /48 from the LIR, but wouldn't you then
>> just have every company in the world with their own /48 which would just
>> cause issues with aggregation and routing table size ?
>
> Yes. Exactly.
>
> But there are a lot less companies that need PI than individuals that
> just need "Interwebz".
>
> Companies getting PI is quite fine. Individuals using PA space is fine
> too as they won't care to renumber their home.

My comments were in relation to companies. Personal/SOHO can continue to
get PA from their SP like they are currently allocated a single /32 IPv4
address by their ISP on the connection.

So we have move on from "we're worried about IPv6 routing table bloat" to
"the hardware in 3-5 years time will handle it, we hope" ?

>> I know there is SLAAC & DHCPv6, so would it simply be the case of what
>> would happen now if a customer needed to change the RFC1918 subnet they
>> were using internally ? In the IPv4 world, this would mean changing DHCP
>> scopes, then changing anything that is manually set ?
>
> The important key is: DHCPv6-PD.
>
> Also check out the Homenet architecture
>
> https://ripe67.ripe.net/presentations/195-townsley-ipv6-homenet-ripe67-athens-distribution.pdf
> http://www.kloepfer.org/ipv6-homenet.html

The diagram in the 2nd link looks a lot like my home network :)

Does it work yet ? Is it supported by anything ?

reagrds,
Tony.