[AusNOG] Fwd: Operators and the IETF

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:35:23 EST 2014

Hi all
Please participate! The operator view has been sadly declining in standards
development over the years.

Narelle
President,
Internet Society of Australia

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Chris Grundemann <cgrundemann at gmail.com>
wrote:

As we recently posted in our Deploy360 blog, we're launching a new project
we're calling "Operators and the IETF" this year. And we need your help!

Deploy360 Blog: http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/

Blog post announcing this new project:
http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/blog/2014/01/new-project-operators-and-the-ietf/

The objective of this new project is to facilitate communications between
the operator community and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) to
help ensure that operational realities inform the development of key
standards. We want to foster a larger and more engaged operator community
around the IETF and protocol development work. In order to ensure that we
take the most effective action, we will focus initially on talking to
operators around the world, gathering information and defining the problem
statement(s).

If you are an operator, we need your input! We want to know if you are
active in the IETF or not, and why - no matter the reasons. You can provide
your input in three ways:
- The quickest and easiest is likely to complete our online survey. Just
answer as honestly and completely as you can (and then remember to share
the link with friends and colleagues).

The Survey: https://internetsociety2.wufoo.com/forms/operators-and-the-ietf/

- Possibly the best way to get us your input, although less convenient or
immediate, is to tell us in person. Keep an eye out for us at networking
events around the globe (and watch our travel announcements here on the
blog), we are out there primarily to talk to you - so come find us! The
Deploy360 team would absolutely love to sit down somewhere with a snack or
a drink and riff on this, as well as other networking topics.

About the Deploy360 team:
http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/about/team/

  - Finally, if you're feeling exceptionally wordy, you can always shoot us
an email or contact us on social media with your thoughts written out long
form.

Contact us: http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/about/contact/

Most importantly: These options are not mutually exclusive! Feel free to
complete the survey, send a follow up email, tweet us, and find us in
person to chat. We don't mind at all!

Once we have collected enough information, likely in the second half of
2014 or so, we will evaluate all of the input received and propose
strategies for solving identified problems and closing identified gaps.
More on on the Deploy360 blog that once we have some input to analyze.

So what are you waiting for? Go take the survey! And/or find one of us at
NZNOG, NANOG, APRICOT, MENOG, IETF, or ICANN in the next couple months. We
look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
~Chris
(Deploy360 / CO ISOC / NANOG