[AusNOG] RFC7094 - "Architectural Considerations of IP Anycast"

Mark ZZZ Smith markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 20 22:24:30 EST 2014

>________________________________

There currently isn't one. Large scale use of anycast would blow up the global route table.

Some of the other technologies that split the locator and identifier properties of an IP address might allow anycast to scale, although there may not end up being a need - I can't think of why lots of people would want to provide lots of individual global anycast services.

> I'm surprised the smart folks at Akamai, Cloudflare, and Arbor etc aren't involved in that RFC, I'd expect they would be some of the largest players/users besides the root/gTLD operators.

This RFC has been in development since at least 2010, so there has been plenty of opportunity for anybody to comment or contribute if they wanted to (you don't need to be invited or need permission, you just need something useful to contribute - I suggested highlighting IPv6's support of on-link anycast, among other things, back around the 1st or 2nd draft). However, regarding Arbor, Danny McPherson, one of the authors, is ex-Arbor.

Regards,
Mark.