[AusNOG] Rack Studs - AWESOME

Lincoln Dale ltd at aristanetworks.com
Thu Jan 2 17:58:11 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au>wrote:

> Earthing should happen in the power cord, in a
> strict tree-structure, to avoid earth loop currents - not the rack
> ironwork.

actually if you *really* wanted to know the source of your problem, look up
the difference between "power ground" and "signal ground."
Sometimes this is referred to as chassis ground / power ground.

In NEBS they are two different things. For good reason.
In most equipment unfortunately they are not different and while that works
ok "most of the time" its not "all of the time."

Personally I don't understand why people use racks with studs at all, very
90s view of things.  The L brackets and latch system of Open Compute racks
is a good example of something with far more operational efficiency than
the 2am-in-the-morning-looking-for-rack-studs-in-a-colo than what i've
seen/heard/experienced many people go through.

cheers,

lincoln.

Lincoln Dale | Principal Engineer, Arista Networks Inc. |
ltd at aristanetworks.com
au did: +61 3 9999 7442 | m: +61 417 457 965 | us did: +1 408 547 5782