[AusNOG] Speaking of DNS...

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Feb 14 08:30:06 EST 2014

Thanks to everyone who provided some useful responses.
The bleating about off-topic, I agree, is more off-topic than this is.
The NOG is useful because it has a 'critical mass' of people who run
networks - as someone posted earlier, try to make your interwebs work
without DNS and see how far you go?

Geordie's post below is also correct in that tools such as
whatsmydns.net are a very high level tool.  Clearly with the closure of
open resolvers there's going to need to be some cooperation amongst
network operators and their support staff in providing troubleshooting
assistance if DNS things go pear-shaped in the future, but if you can
narrow it down to a subset of particular networks, you should probably
engage them directly before opting for a 'scattergun' approach to a
mailing list or similar.

This of course also means that support teams need to be prepared to
provide technical support without the 'sorry, you havn't given me a
valid username, so you're not my customer, goodbye' that I have
experienced before. :/

Cheers
Mark.