[AusNOG] disposal of equipment

Ben Buxton bb.ausnog at bb.cactii.net
Mon Feb 10 12:03:14 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Daniel Watson <daniel at glovine.com.au>wrote:

> I have heard that a large amount of data centres in the US use these types
> of devices,
>
> http://www.datalinksales.com/uploads/0100l.jpg
>
> I imagine this would be fun (For a few weeks at least) :D

It's enjoyable for a bit. Punctured a bunch of drives with one of these a
couple of years back. It's fast if you've not got the time to zero them.

> Another idea might be to look at a LOW level format which would flip the 0
> and 1's numerous times, this is another good way of destroying data

All you need to do is zero the drive once. No one has ever demonstrated
data recovery from a modern drive after just a single rewrite pass.

Note that this doesn't erase blocks which might have been remapped. But no
one will bother attempting in practice. They'll just go the rubberhose
route instead.

BB