[AusNOG] Constant IPv6 pinging by Akamai

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Dec 29 09:54:22 EST 2014

On 12/29/2014 12:30 AM, Alastair Johnson wrote:

>> Does anyone know what the purpose of this would be?  Some kind of
>> telemetry by Akamai to verify network performance proactively?
>
> AFAIK, yes. They measure network performance to end-hosts by a number of
> metrics, including RTT to the resolvers they see querying their CDN.
> This feeds into how they choose the POP that your network (as determined
> by resolver) is served from.
>
> That said, 20-50pps seems a bit much.

I won't say that it's not much but if it's being triggered by the number
of requests per second they get, I would assume it's a result of a very
bad programming.
I think that in the above case limiting 10-20 pps from the same source
is kind of OK.
Why would a single host ever need on a regular basis to run 30 pps test?

Eliezer