[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Beeson, Ayden ABeeson at csu.edu.au
Wed Dec 24 14:41:04 EST 2014

+1

We had to reconfigure all our wireless ap ports from access to trunks with a vlan allowed statement, using our config management tools (Solarwinds NPM/NCM) we were able to push out whole campus configurations at once, turning a week long process of many people making changes into 2 buttons and 10 minutes wait.

Reconfigured over 1200 access ports across hundreds of switch stacks without incident, as well as the trunks between switches that now needed these out to the access rather than just at the controller, plus the vlan config itself.

Scary the first time but amazing in terms of man hours and human error savings.

That's not even to mention the saving in terms of rolling disruptions to staff and students and the inconvenience that could create...

Cheers,
Ayden
(This email was sent from a mobile device, please forgive any typos etc)

---- Chris Bennett wrote ----

[cid:csu-logo5a9f.bmp]<http://www.csu.edu.au/>

|   ALBURY-WODONGA   |   BATHURST   |   CANBERRA   |   DUBBO   |   GOULBURN   |   MELBOURNE   |   ONTARIO   |   ORANGE   |   PORT MACQUARIE   |   SYDNEY   |   WAGGA WAGGA   |

________________________________
LEGAL NOTICE
This email (and any attachment) is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any confidentiality is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery. Email should be checked for viruses and defects before opening. Charles Sturt University (CSU) does not accept liability for viruses or any consequence which arise as a result of this email transmission. Email communications with CSU may be subject to automated email filtering, which could result in the delay or deletion of a legitimate email before it is read at CSU. The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of CSU.

Charles Sturt University in Australia<http://www.csu.edu.au> The Grange Chancellery, Panorama Avenue, Bathurst NSW Australia 2795 (ABN: 83 878 708 551; CRICOS Provider Number: 00005F (National)). TEQSA Provider Number: PV12018
Charles Sturt University in Ontario<http://www.charlessturt.ca/> 860 Harrington Court, Burlington Ontario Canada L7N 3N4 Registration: www.peqab.ca<http://www.peqab.ca>

Consider the environment before printing this email.

> In all fairness, you could also alleviate the problem with a much simpler
> "alias" configuration line. No need for an orchestration system to change
> VLAN configs.

Well the value in an orchestration system is that that one vlan change
might need to be made on more than one interface, on more than one
device, so now a netop has the choice of doing the same thing twice or
more (at risk of error or using an alias like you suggest), needing to
remember the set of devices & interfaces they must change for the vlan
change to be complete, or automating it.

And the change may be more than just 'add vlan' - it could be a
10-step process as part of a provisioning workflow, so getting this
stuff reliably applied without human error means programming it in
someway.

And in the context of gaining work experience & learning in SP/DC,
automating very simple adds/moves/changes is a very good way of
learning how to 'program your network'.

Regards,

Chris