[AusNOG] Vlan Add - Was Re: Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Dec 24 13:39:48 EST 2014

On a small table of about 200 records on an old system that I was asked
to assist with, I did the select * first, then did an UPDATE forgetting
the where clause and updated all rows for a single field - since it was
the older system and one im not in charge of, no one could point me to
backups of any sort - so luckily I had the console output from my
SELECT, copypasta'd out to a text file and meticulously put back to the
right state (not quite row by row, but groups of rows).

Now days I always write DELETE and UPDATE statements WHERE clause first
so even if i do accidentally hit go it will error out

e.g.
DELETE FROM WHERE ID=540;
OR
UPDATE tbl SET WHERE ID=430;

Then go back add the tbl for the DELETE and the fields for the UPDATE.