[AusNOG] Work experience in networking/telecoms/DCs? Getting my foot in the door?

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Wed Dec 24 13:05:42 EST 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:57:06PM +1100, Greg wrote:
>    I work in a network department in a commonwealth agency.  It
> frustrates me to no end when I'm trying to explain something as
> simple as a VLAN to a senior IT manager(working in other IT areas)
> and all I get back is a blank look( that explains government!), if
> only they were forced to expand there horizons(sometimes I wonder
> how they ever got a job in IT )!.

Why do you need to explain a VLAN to a senior IT manager in another area?
Sounds to me like you're not communicating effectively.  Try talking in
terms of business outcomes, rather than technical minutiae, and you'll
almost certainly find your working relationship with others improves.

- Matt

--
Advocating Object-Oriented Programming is like advocating Pants-Oriented
Clothing.